Wednesday, May 6, 2015

cinnamon, spice, and everything not gluten

Obviously not mine, I
skip the grahams and stir
it altogether - no layers.
Back to breakfast. After reading about the horrors of eating wheat for breakfast (and lunch, and dinner, and snacks...) I decided to try something new. While I still have plans to perfect my breakfast-bars-gone-bad (which my husband continues to eat - bless his heart), I tried experimenting with a yogurt parfait. While there are millions of options, I tried to find something that incorporated oats (instead of granola), Greek yogurt (instead of regular yogurt), and bananas (I have been on a banana kick lately and my muscles are sore from all the yard work we have tackled) and found a recipe for an Overnight Pumpkin Spice Oats Parfait that sounded just delightful. While I can't add the bananas the night before because they brown, I can prepare the rest of it ahead of time. My first batch did not have enough spice, but the batch I made last night tasted great. I followed the amounts listed on recipe and was able to get two parfaits - even though it says one serving, it is a whole lotta yogurt. I also use Pumpkin Pie and Apple Pie spice mixtures from Penzeys, instead of adding each individual spice listed in the ingredient list - and I add a lot; Greek yogurt is intense in the morning and there needs to be enough spice in order for it to taste like actual breakfast, in my opinion. I also just slice a room temperature banana and stir it in each morning (no time to blend up frozen bananas and make a pudding - let's be honest). I decided to forego the graham crackers in order to keep it healthier, but it would be quite delicious with a few sprinkled on top. Click here for the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

please share your thoughts and comments. thank you. xo

blog archive