Tuesday, May 5, 2015

six inches forward and five inches back

My mother came back to NYC this past Saturday (for the second time in two weeks!) on a bus trip with other teachers from her school. It is an annual occurrence, though it is normally scheduled at the beginning of April, not May. In three out of the four times she's ventured into the city we've gone to see a Broadway musical, but last year we decided to take a break from the big stage. Instead of being entertained by Broadway's best, I planned a food tour around the city (and we ate so much food we almost exploded). This year we reverted back to incorporating a show into our day and boy, did we pick quite a show! The first year she came we saw Chicago, the next was Wicked, and the third was The Lion King

My sister and I wanted to see something "out of the ordinary", since we played it pretty safe in past years, and since our mom did not have an opinion on what we saw, I sent a list of highly rated ones to my sister. We prioritized our top four choices - number one being Hedwig and the Angry Inch - and it just so happened there were tickets available the morning of her visit at our favorite ticket outlet - TKTS. While I did a lot of research on run times and ratings, I did not exactly look into the premise of the shows. I had seen signs for Hedwig around the city and heard a little bit about it, but I truly did not know what we were getting ourselves into. Up until that morning, I literally thought the name of the show was Hedwig and the Angry Itch and I thought the "Angry Itch" was a rock band who would not allow Hedwig to join. WRONG. First off, it is "Angry Inch" and it definitely does not have anything to do with a rock band. While I don't want to spoil the surprise, let's just say while there is a rock band in the show, the "inch" has to do with a specific body part - not a guitar, or a keyboard, or the drums. While certain parts were shocking, even when not sitting next to your mother, it was very entertaining. We saw it with Darren Criss (from the show "Glee") playing the main character Hedwig and it truly was impressive. Click here to visit the Hedwig website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

please share your thoughts and comments. thank you. xo

blog archive